Saturday 8 September 2007

James Baldwin the essayist and social commentator wrote that: 'People are trapped in history,
and history is trapped in them.'
This statement is undoubtedly true, as any perusal of the plethora of historical books or
films will show. I am inspired to study history to understand why history is 'trapped inside
us' and to know why we need history, at least on an amateur level. Furthermore, history is
enormously relevant for analysing the present and projecting the future, and is also the
subject most likely to raise debate or controversy. I also want to broaden my knowledge of the
past, particularly political history, in order to understand why and how things are the way
they are, and how we can hope to understand the future in that historical context.
Consequently, I would very much like to study HistoryPolitics at University
Aside from doing an A-Level in History, I am also entering the AEA for History, for which I am
required to do a significant amount of reading, particularly regarding historiography and the
interpretation of history. This additional reading has enabled me to broaden my understanding
of historical events and the study of history as an academic subject.
This autumn I shall be entering the Great Debate, a competition organised by the Historical
Association. The subject this year is the most important scientific achievement since 1906,
for which I have chosen to argue for Rutherford's splitting of the atom in 1907. This event
will enable me to deploy my historical knowledge in a new of method, using appropriate
presentational techniques.
I am a subscriber to the History Today magazine, which I find very useful in providing
academic articles on a variety of historical topics that I would not otherwise read. I also
read the BBC History, which is less scholarly, but presented in a much more accessible and
interactive fashion. I also take an active interest in local history, assisting at the local
museum in a number of capacities, such as cataloguing old photographs, creating displays etc.
In addition I am interested in current affairs and read Prospect magazine, which styles itself
the magazine of 'Politics, Essays and Argument'. This magazine is fascinating and provides an
unusual mix of current affairs and debate about a wide range of topics. This magazine provides
a much more detailed picture of debates, with many different and conflicting points of view
considered, which serves to broaden my understanding on these topics
I am also a keen reader of fiction, although my favourite fictional authors tend to be
historical novelists! Thomas Hardy and Charles Dickens are my favourite authors, not least
because they are outstanding storytellers, but also because of their trenchant and insightful
assessment of the ongoing social upheaval. A more contemporary author I enjoy is Sebastian
Faulks, who has an excellent talent for telling history through the eyes of ordinary people.
My extra curricular activities involve completing my Gold Duke of Edinburgh and taking part in
practice walks. Fortunately I have always been a good hiker. During the summer of 2006 myself
and my family completed the Tour de Mont Blanc, a 120-mile round hike in the Alps over 7 days.
I also do a lot of walking on nearby Dartmoor. I also keep fit by rowing in the local gig club
every week and take part in the fitness training sessions.
A significant amount of my time is spent on a project established by the Kenyan Government
called Digital Village, which aims to set up computer schools and Internet access to all
villages in Kenya. As part of this project myself and a team of people are travelling to Kenya
in October and working in a handful of villages setting up computers and providing basic ICT
lessons. Hopefully we will be able to expand this project in the future. At the moment I am
raising awareness and funds for this project and am keen to maintain my involvement with this
project.

No comments: